Serves 2 as a main course or 4-6 as a side dish
3-4 small zucchinis
2-3 generous tablespoons prepared pesto (Mustard Greens Pesto recipe)
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
Handful of organic grape tomatoes, sliced in half
Nutritional yeast, optional
- For a vegan main course, figure about 1 1/2 small zucchinis per person.
- Cut ends off zucchinis. Using a vegetable peeler, peel off long even strips of zucchini. You will need your other hand to hold the top end of the zucchini as you slice. (I recommend the Pampered Chef peeler for soft skinned veggies or something similiar.)
- Steam zucchini strips for just a couple minutes until soft, but not mushy. Be careful, it won’t take long. As soon as you see steam pouring out from the lid they are probably done.
- Reserve a small amount of the steaming water and add drained zucchini in a bowl.
- Toss a couple of generous tablespoons of prepared pesto with zucchini ribbons until coated.
- Use a tablespoon or two of the steaming water if you need to loosen up the pesto a bit.
- Garnish with a few grape tomatoes sliced in half, grated cheese or nutritional yeast to keep it vegan.