Tomato, Sausage, and Spinach Soup
Created by Michelle Sala ©2021
½ C. diced onions
½ C. diced carrots
½ C. diced celery
1 large garlic clove coarsely chopped
1 TBSP of avocado oil, olive oil, or ghee
1 lbs. sweet Italian sausages (use hot or spicy sausage if you want a spicy soup)
25 oz. jar of tomato basil marinara sauce or something comparable
32 oz. carton of organic chicken stock or broth
8 oz. bag of baby spinach
2 tsp. Italian seasonings (mixture of oregano, basil)
Salt & pepper to taste
Heavy cream, optional
- Heat medium sized soup pot over medium heat. Add oil and onions, carrots, celery and sauté for about 5 minutes. Add garlic and continue cooking for another couple minutes.
- Remove sausage from casing and add to your pot. Break up sausage and cook with the vegetables until in just begins to get some color.
- Add Italian seasoning and season mixture with salt and pepper.
- Add the jar of tomato sauce. I add a little chicken stock to the jar and put the lid back on and shake to get all the sauce out of the jar. Add that to your pot.
- Add enough chicken stock to get the consistency that you like. For a creamier, thicker soup add less stock (about ¾ of the carton). For a thinner soupier soup add the entire carton. I’ve made it both ways and it’s a matter of preference. Both ways will taste great.
- Simmer mixture for about 15 minutes. For a creamier soup, add as much heavy cream to attain desired consistency. Simmer for few more minutes. Do not boil or your cream will separate.
- Add the bag of spinach and turn off the heat. Let soup sit until the spinach wilts.
- Garnish with freshly grated parmesan or Romano cheese, chopped fresh basil, and a few turns of ground pepper.
- Serve hot and enjoy!