Slow Cooker “Roasted” Chicken
©2016 Michelle Sala
1 whole organic chicken
1 lemon cut in half (an orange works great too)
Seasonings of choice – dry spice mixes, fresh rosemary or thyme, fresh garlic
- Rinse chicken and remove giblets. Cut away excess skin and fat around the cavity opening.
- Generously salt the entire chicken inside and out.
- Season with just sea salt and freshly ground pepper, or use anything you like. Sometimes I just use Trader Joe’s Everyday Seasoning in the grinder or Costco’s Kirkland brand Organic No Salt Seasoning. You can use herbs de Provence or fresh garlic, fresh thyme sprigs that I put into the cavity or fresh rosemary sprigs. If using fresh garlic, slice and put under the skin. Put the fresh herb sprigs inside the cavity with the lemon halves. I’ve even put an orange in the cavity. Really, this recipe is so forgiving and all that it really matters is what herbs you like.
- Rub entire chicken with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil.
- Place chicken in slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 5 ½ to 6 ½ hours. A smaller chicken (4 lbs. or less range) will take more like 5 ½ hours and a larger chicken (5+ lbs. range) will take around 6 ½ hours. Every slow cooker is a little different so check your chicken around 5 hours.