Quinoa & Black Bean Salad
©2016 Michelle Sala
1 cup uncooked quinoa
1 1/2 cups filtered water
1 15 oz. can organic black beans, drained and rinsed
3-4 green onions, green and white parts finely chopped
2 tablespoons canned diced green chilies
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely minced (optional)
1 bell pepper (color of your choice), diced
1/2 cup tomatoes, diced (I like to use cherry or grape tomatoes this time of year because they have the most flavor)
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 ripe avocado, diced (add right before serving if not serving immediately)
2 tablespoons of high quality extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar, lemon juice or lime juice
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Rinse quinoa in fine mesh strainer.
- Bring water to a boil and then add rinsed quinoa. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until all the water is absorbed.
- Let the quinoa cool for about 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, add quinoa. Fluff up with a fork.
- Add all of the ingredients listed through the cilantro to the cooked quinoa.
- Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Mix thoroughly and toss with EVOO and vinegar or citrus juice.
- Add diced avocado when ready to serve. You may need to adjust the seasoning at this time.