Created by Michelle Sala ©2021
2 large yellow onions, finely chopped
4-6 stalks celery, finely chopped
3 lbs. of ground meat (all beef or combo of beef, bison, pork, spicy Italian sausage. I like 2 lbs. and 1 lbs. spicy sausage or pork.)
8 cloves of chopped garlic
2 jalapenos, seeded and finely chopped
2 lbs. (2 large) orange sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2 chunks
4 14 oz. or 2 28 oz. cans of diced tomatoes (regular or fire roasted)
1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes or tomato puree
1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme or 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa or cacao powder
Chipotle powder to taste (at least 1 teaspoon, but be careful if you’ve used spicy sausage in your meat mixture.)
Salt and ground pepper to taste
- Heat oil in large heavy pot over medium heat. If you are not cutting the recipe in half, you will need a 7 quart pot or bigger.
- Add onions and celery, sauté until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add ground meat, and break up with wooden spoon. Cook until it loses color.
- Add jalapeno, garlic, thyme, salt and sauté for a couple minutes.
- Add tomatoes, cacao powder, and potatoes and simmer until potatoes are soft.
- Add chipotle or chili powder to taste. If you’ve used spicy or hot sausage you will want to back off on the chili powder. The chipotle powder is hotter than the chili powder. I like the chipotle because of it’s smokiness.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with sour cream, chopped cilantro, and grated cheese.
Here is a paleo cornbread recipe that I found from Paleo Running Momma. She’s got some great recipes! When I can’t find something I like, then I create my own This recipe is REALLY good!