This enchilada sauce is gluten-free and can be easily made vegetarian by substituting the chicken stock for water or vegetables stock.
Makes about 4 cups
3 tablespoons chili powder
3 tablespoons tapioca flour or arrowroot flour
1 teaspoon cacao or cocoa powder (don’t be afraid to add a bit more for a richer mole flavor)
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt (or 1/2 tsp. granulated garlic or garlic powder and salt to taste)
1 teaspoon oregano
3 cups (plus more to acheive desired consistency) water, vegetable stock or chicken stock
1 7oz. can/jar of organic tomato paste
- Combine all of the dry ingredients in a small bowl
- Stir in enough of the liquid of choice to create a thin paste
- Pour paste into pan and add the remailing 3 cups of liquid to the mixture
- Simmer over medium heat stirring constantly until thickened
- Stir in tomato paste
- Cook for about 5 minutes to blend flavors
- Add more liquid to reach the desired consistancy
- Use in your favorite recipes
I made enchiladas with shredded pork and almond flour tortillas and they were so good! The next morning I made huevos rancheros. The boyfriend said don’t mess with this recipe, that this one was perfect. I used Trader Joe’s Organic Chicken Stock as the liquid. It’s got just the right amount of heat.
Here’s a Paleo tortilla recipe that is easy and works well for those who are allergic to nuts or want grain free tortillas.
Seite brand makes great Almond flour tortillas if you don’t want to make your own. They also have a Cassava version, but they have a lot more carbs than the Almond ones.