Easy Vegetable Stock
©2016 Michelle Sala
1 large yellow onion, cut in quarters
4 stalks of celery, each cut in 4 chunks
2 carrots, each cut in 4 chunks
1 turnip, clean ends and quarter
1 tomato, cut in half
2 cloves of garlic, smashed and peeled
1 sprig parsley
6 whole peppercorns
1 piece of Kombu (sea vegetable available at health food stores), optional (imparts extra vitamins, minerals and saltiness)
- Add all ingredients to a large stock pot.
- Cover with enough filtered water so that all the vegetables are comfortably swimming around.
- Bring pot to a boil.
- Reduce heat, partially cover pot and simmer for 2 hours.
- Strain broth through fine mesh sieve.
- Use immediately or store for later use.
Makes about 12 cups