Is Your Coffee Maker Making You Sick?
By Michelle Sala, Certified Integrative Health Coach
A few years ago, I read an article about Keurig or K-Cup type coffee makers that were harboring mold because they are difficult to properly clean. Recently I discovered that this could happen with your standard drip coffee maker.
My boyfriend, who suffers from CIRS related to mold exposure, had been complaining that he didn’t feel well after his morning coffee. We drink it “Bulletproof” style with grass-fed butter, MCT oil and a scoop of bone broth protein. He tried different combinations trying to figure out if it was the butter or oil or bone broth protein that stopped agreeing with him. He started going out for coffee a few mornings a week to get out of the house (he works from home) and didn’t have the same reaction to coffee as he did at home.
One day while I was at his place, he made me the usual concoction that I make at home. I felt TERRIBLE afterwards! I got a headache. I felt lethargic. I was nauseous and had acid reflux. These were all the same symptoms he was getting after drinking coffee! It must be the coffee maker! We went out and bought a French press and made coffee the next morning and, guess what, no symptoms! Problem solved!
So, if you think you might be sensitive to coffee – can drink it sometimes, but not others – it may be that your coffee maker is full of mold or you may be sensitive to the chemicals in the plastic which may be leaching into your coffee. Coffee filters aren’t great either as the white paper is bleached and treated with chemicals. Either way, try making your coffee in a machine without plastic or filters and see how you feel! A French Press seems the most toxin-free option.
As a side note: You should always drink organic coffee. Coffee is one of the most pesticide laden crops. Coffee is harvested and then laid out to dry and ferment. There is no ‘washing off’ of the chemicals. Drink Organic!
Buy organic and mold-free Bulletproof coffee beans HERE.